Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Sonoma County Libraries to close for ten days

I better hurry up with my library reviews, look what's happening!

article one

article two

Another sign of the damn times.

Here I am, bumbling along, confident that libraries will always be there - until they are not, that is. I'm still not used to them being closed on Sundays and that happened years ago. (Maybe even a decade ago. Hush!) I'm thinking of the school children without a place to study or do research, of the moms who rely on the library as an inexpensive educational and recreational resource and just plain quiet time. Holy moley!

I understand that the library administration had to make some tough decisions; I see the same tough decisions being made on campus where I work. But I worry about a society that hesitates to fully fund schools and libraries and parks, that when they are needed most, they are least available.

2 comments:

  1. I can't believe Sonoma County is closing their library's website, too, during those ten days. I've never heard of such a thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. no, neither have I...it's a ridiculous situation. But I guess if they're going to shut down, they should shut down all the way.

    ReplyDelete

Noise makers!